Lucy Greenwood, Partner, The International Family Law Group LLP
When faced with the often painful reality of relationship breakdown, it is fundamentally important that you choose the right family lawyer. Making the wrong decision could have an irrevocably detrimental impact on your case and may result in increased costs and/or delays. This is even more important if you are living abroad, there are significant assets or international dimensions to your finances or relationship.
So what should you look for?
- Ensure the family lawyer holds sufficient specialist knowledge. A number of family law practitioners practise in more than one area of law, or only deal with financial cases OR children issues. Ideally you want a single firm with a strong and proven propensity for both aspects.
- Look at their website. Do they write articles on current trends or contribute to leading practitioners books in their field? Do they have a wide reach of international business contacts who can help with all aspects of your case quickly?
- There are unique skills required for cases involving more complicated asset structures and international dimensions (i.e. jurisdiction issues, which can be very urgent at an early stage of the relationship breakdown). Do they specialise in your specific requirements?
- Research the firm, its reputation and the lawyers who work there. Legal directories such as The Legal 500, are a good starting point for this, as well as professionals you know who might have worked alongside family lawyers on similar matters.
- Make sure you feel comfortable with them. Going through relationship breakdown is a highly personal process and you need to feel confident that your lawyer will fight your corner to achieve the best possible outcome for you. When there is a good relationship between a lawyer and the client better results are achieved.
- If you are undecided give them a call and ask for an initial brief chat with them to see if they are someone you could work with.
My firm, The International Family Law Group LLP, is a family law practice based in London, and was set up specifically to deal with the specialist area of international family issues. As a Partner I’ve been involved in some of England’s leading international cases which have assisted in developing the law for international families.
iFLG are ranked in the second-tier of The Legal 500, described as ‘one of the top to firms for international family law in England.’ We have considerably more experience and knowledge in this field than virtually any other firm in London/England.
As accredited specialists we receive instructions from foreign lawyers and act for clients of other law firms seeking our expert experience. We also have a global network of lawyers we can liaise with at short notice.
iFLG is also regularly instructed via ICACU (the operational Central Authority for England and Wales for the 1980 Hague Convention).
© Dec 2017